32-Bit Windows Systems
Do you use a 32-bit Windows system? Learn how to run Alteryx on your machine.
What is changing?
Alteryx Analytics is currently available in native versions for both 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Windows systems. Alteryx Analytics 10.5 will be the last version of Alteryx Analytics that can be run on a 32-bit Windows system. If you are currently using a 32-bit Windows system, you will not be able to upgrade to Alteryx Analytics 11.0 as it will only be available in a native 64-bit version.
Why are we doing this?
There are a number of performance benefits to running Alteryx Analytics on a 64-bit Windows system:
- Alteryx can use as much memory as you allocate to it, which can translate directly to speed improvements. A 32-bit process is limited to 2GB of total address space, and this memory can get fragmented to the point that it can’t all be used. This can cause memory allocation failures on large processes.
- Memory mapped files (used by Calgary indexes and data engines like Guzzler) can be processed much quicker because the OS can map the entire file in-memory, removing the need for file transfer.
- There are general OS, runtime, and CPU improvements in the 64-bit operating system, which seem to correlate to a 10% to 20% boost in speed for Alteryx without any of the other improvements.
- The Alteryx data team reports that the 64-bit version is often twice as fast as the 32-bit version.
Continue reading for other technical reasons why we are moving to support 64-bit Windows systems only.
Who will this impact?
We do not expect this to impact many customers, and those who are impacted are encouraged to migrate their software/hardware to support a 64-bit Windows system. Customers who are on a 32-bit Windows system will have the ability to continue to use Alteryx Analytics 10.5 or older versions for the foreseeable future and with the “Extended Support Period” outlined below.
What is the Extended Support Period for 32-bit Alteryx Analytics 10.6?
For a period of two (2) years from the date of release of Alteryx Analytics 10.6 (the “Extended Support Period”), Alteryx will provide customer technical support comprised of fixes for critical bugs such as those related to security. That said, not all defects may be able to be corrected, particularly defects that were corrected in an Alteryx Analytics version released subsequent to the version being used with respect to which the customer is experiencing such defects. After the Extended Support Period, Alteryx will no longer provide customer technical support for the 32-bit version of Alteryx Analytics 10.6. If you are currently using a 32-bit Windows system, you will be unable to upgrade to the Alteryx Analytics 11.0 release as we will only be providing Alteryx Analytics installers for 64-bit Windows systems.
How can you check your Windows operating system environment?
To find out if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows, please follow the steps listed below.
Windows 10 or Windows 8
If your computer is running Windows 10 or Windows 8, do the following:
- Click the Start button, then select “Settings”
- In the window that opens, click the “System” icon
- In the panel on the left, click “About”
Windows 7 or Windows Vista
If your computer is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, do the following:
- Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking “Computer,” and then clicking “Properties”
- Under “System,” you can view the system type
If your computer is running Windows XP, do the following:
- Click Start
- Right-click “My Computer,” and then click “Properties”
- If you don't see “x64 Edition” listed, then you're running the 32-bit version of Windows XP. If “x64 Edition” is listed under System, you are running the 64-bit version of Windows XP
Whom do you contact if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows?
If you have checked your system using one of the methods outlined above, and you are running a 32-bit version of Windows, please contact your Alteryx Customer Support Engineer and your Alteryx Account Executive and inform them that you are running a 32-bit version of Alteryx. They will assist you with the free upgrade to a 64-bit version once your desktop/laptop computer has been upgraded to a 64-bit Windows operating system.
How do you explain the benefits of upgrading to a 64-bit Windows operating system to your management or IT department?
We have created a sample letter that you can download and send to your IT department and management explaining all the benefits of upgrading to a 64-bit Windows system. It includes how a 64-bit OS will enable you to stay on the latest release of Alteryx Analytics, which will make you more productive and help advance your organization’s analytics capabilities.
What are the key milestones for 32-bit support?
June 28, 2016
Release of Alteryx Analytics 10.6 with 32-bit download
Alteryx Analytics 10.6 will be the last Alteryx release that will be available in a 32-bit downloadable option.
Expected H1 2017
Last day to download a 32-bit version of Alteryx Analytics
The 32-bit version of Alteryx Analytics 10.6 will be available on the downloads.alteryx.com webpage until Alteryx Analytics 11.5 is released. After this date a 32-bit version of Alteryx will not be available.
June 28, 2018
Extended support period ends for all 32-bit versions of Alteryx Analytics
All support for 32-bit versions of Alteryx Analytics will end two (2) years from the date of release of Alteryx Analytics 10.6. For customers with contracts that specify EOL support clauses, support will be available under the terms and conditions of that contract.